Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dick's Bar

VANISHED: July 2007



Made a visit to Dick's the other day on my personal tour of the MTA's list of doomed buildings, slated to be snatched by eminent domain for the new Second Avenue subway line.

Dick's shutter is down and it's down for good, according to a tip from Eater, and the phone's been disconnected.


Photo from New York Magazine

I guess that's it for Dick's, a good old gay dive bar, described by New York Magazine thusly: "With its concept-free amalgam of bar, pool table, jukebox and pinball machine, Dick's is to most East Village gay bars what Edith Piaf is to Cher."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dick's shut down?
Aw, man!
I used to love to take my buddies in there.
They'd look around and say, "Great dive."
Until they noticed the naked men wrestling on the TV's overhead!
Their faces were PRICELESS!

Unknown said...

I used to be a co-owner of Dick's. There were 5 of us all together and one got kicked out and 3 of us sold our shares along the way, leaving Johnny as the sole owner. Only Johnny and one other were gay, I'm straight and so were two other co-owners. This was a great place and I used to like hanging out there. Now it's a pub of some sort and I really don't believe the subway story. Sorry

Anonymous said...

Dick's Bar closed May 31, 2007. It may one day be a subway stop but not for another 20-30 years. I miss you Scott.