Friday, November 13, 2009

New David's

Last month I reported that David's Shoe repair in the East Village was being gutted and that David's grandson--also named David--promised to reopen as the same business, just renovated. Some folks wondered if this could be true--maybe a fro-yo shop would open up instead.

Yesterday, the paper came off the windows to reveal--it's still David's Shoe Store.



The place is bigger and brighter inside, with a fresh paint job, but the big shoe-repair machines are in the back, wooden shoe lasts are hanging on the wall, and there's no fro-yo in sight. Also, the 1940s Cat's Paw lady is still stuck on the window with David's hand-painted signage. Let's hope she stays, too.

7 comments:

EV Grieve said...

Savoring the small victories.

Frank said...

When I saw this post, I got all excited because I thought David's Cookies was back. Oh well. Good for David's Shoes, too.

Bowery Boogie said...

good to see they are indeed staying put.

Jeremiah Moss said...

i cringe to think they might scrape the Cat's Paw lady off the glass.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Thank god. I've got four pair of unwearable shoes that I've been holding onto in anticipation of David's reopening. Hurrah for the occasional miracle.

Cat Sitter in the City said...

I'm with you on hoping the Cat's Paw lady sticker stays.

Anonymous said...

J, don't know if this went through so I'm resending it. Who is lady in Cat's Paw ad? Years ago, met a lovely lady - former model who married a bandleader. When I began seeing Cat's Paw ads, I was struck by the resemblance.